Friday, July 28, 2023

Reading The New Testament

I am taking two classes this semester. I've already posted about my first class. The second class is the New Testament. Since we've been doing the New Testament in Come Follow Me this year, I thought I'd go into the book a bit more through this course. I'd love to get closer to Christ by learning more about Him. 

So, this week we read the scriptures Matthew chapters 1-4, Mark chapter 1, Luke chapters 1-4, and John chapters 1-4, and 17. Each week I will choose a different way of studying the scriptures. If you are interested in learning the different ways of studying, here is a list:



To find out more information on how to use these studying ideas you can go here: 


I have used all of these methods several times and it has been very helpful for me. This week I used the skill of "setting". Although, I will admit, it wasn't very effective this week. I have a lot of notes, but the setting wasn't very important during a lot of the reading. Some of them were, but not all of them. 

Anyway, I'd like to share something with you that I read and pondered about. In Matthew chapter 3 verse 11 it talks about getting baptised through Jesus Christ, with the Holy Ghost and with fire. In Acts 19:2-7 it talks about receiving the Holy Ghost. They discuss being baptized by John but never heard of the Holy Ghost. Paul then tells them that, "...with the baptism of repentance...they should believe on him which come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus." Being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ allows us to accept His teachings and receive the Holy Ghost.

What does it mean to be baptised in His name? 

I believe that anyone can get baptized. We can get baptized anywhere we want. But is it in His name? I remember attending a baptism in Hawaii. It was my cousin who was getting baptized. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen! However, it's not all about the coolest thing. When my youngest daughter got baptized, I was waiting for her right outside the font. Once she stepped out of the font, she collapsed in my arms (waiting with a towel) and started crying. The spirit was so strong. I couldn't believe how spiritually strong she was already! At such a young tender age! I knew that the Holy Ghost had touched her heart and that she felt Christ's love right then and there. Later that day, we were at home and her cousin (who is five days younger than she is) told her that she felt something "right here" (while she points to her heart). It was a perfect opportunity to share with her how the Holy Ghost had touched her heart. She later got baptized as well. 

Being baptized is such a special occasion. In our church we are able to get baptized in His name and become perfect as He is. That doesn't mean we are perfect, but we can sure try. I am thankful for my Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ, and the example He has given me. Every day I strive to live like He did. Being baptized was a choice I made a long time ago and I am so thankful for the opportunity to live by my choice so long ago. 


Do you remember the feeling you got when you were baptised? Have you witnessed a baptism so strong that you will always remember the feeling you felt there? Please share, I would love to hear about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment