Saturday, July 29, 2023

Entrepreneurial Experience

 This week in my Entrepreneur class we learned about creating a life of meaning. We watched a short video about a guy named Randy Pausch. Here is a different short video about him. He's very inspiring! 


I wasn't able to share the exact video we watched but you get the jist of what his life was like. 

If you would like to watch his inspiring "Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams" you can watch it here: 


We were then asked why do we think Randy Pausch achieved his childhood dreams? One thing he mentions in his lecture is tenacity. He talks about having a brick wall there to stop us. So many people have a brick wall that stops them from doing the things they love. He then goes on to say that the brick wall is only there for those who don't want it bad enough. It's for the "other" people. If we want it bad enough, we will find a way around, over, or under that brick wall. He says "...if you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." 

I believe that Randy Pausch had determination. He knew what he wanted and was determined to get it, or do it, or become it. He didn't let brick walls get in his way. He found a way around it, or over it, or under it, or heck, he probably grabbed a sledge hammer and broke through that brick wall. He set his mind on doing something and he did it. 

When I was a kid I wanted to be an actress. I wanted to star in TV shows and be a household name. I wanted to sing and dance on stage. My dream was to be BIG! Was this dream a reality? Not really. Especially if I stayed in my small town of Yakima, Washington. However, I was still able to perform. I became an actress here in my small town. I would perform in murder mystery plays where the audience could ask us questions and we'd have to reply in character. It was some of the most fun times I've ever had. Some of the shows I was in even had me doing a bit of singing. So, has my dream come true? Yes, in a different kind of way. I mentioned performing on stage and singing. I also dance every week. While my stage might be a floor with a soft mat, and my audience is in the pool following my every move, I am still dancing along to music and helping others stay fit. 

I believe that having a dream is important. Having a goal to become something, to do something, helps you stay focused. 

While working on this week's assignments, we had to make a Bucket List of 50 items. I got to thinking about what was on my list and all I could think of was getting a degree. It had been my bucket list for so long that I never really thought about much else. My dream was to become educated and get a college degree. Now that I am close to getting it, what am I wanting to do now? What is on my bucket list? What goal do I push myself to work for now? 

I am thankful that Heavenly Father has given me this opportunity to once again, open my eyes and look for the bigger picture in this life of mine. I love how far I've come. I know I have so far to go still but I am taking it one day at a time. Little by little I will become the person He wants me to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment