Saturday, August 26, 2023

How Can I Help You?

This week in my entrepreneur class we talked about being a leader and following your big dreams. I really enjoyed reading some of the talks regarding becoming a leader. For example, BYUI had a president in 2007 named Kim B. Clark. He spoke in December to the graduating class about being a leader with a small "L". I remember reading this talk a while ago in another business class I took. It's so uplifting. It's so profound that I took a lot of things he said to heart, and have worked on them since I read his words. If you would like to read this talk, you can find it here
                             Brigham Young University–Idaho - Wikipedia                                                    

He listed a few principles to live by when becoming a leader. 
  1. Lead by Example
  2. Lead with Vision
  3. Lead with Love
He goes on to give examples of each of these three. The amount of knowledge and self-help that I have learned throughout this journey in my life has been so amazing. I have grown so much from going to college. Because of these three principles, I have become a better mother, a better wife, and a better person overall. 

One of the videos I watched this week talked about building trust. One thing he said that stood out to me was, "How can I help this person?" Instead of thinking about ourselves, we should be open and willing to help those around us. I've always felt that if we want to become a better person, then serve others first. 

I read this book called Good to Great (by Jim Collins, found here) a while back (again in a different business class) and enjoyed learning from it. His first chapter talks about how Good is the enemy to Great. Don't get comfortable being good. Do better. There are many people out there that are good people. But, we should strive to be great! We can be better than good! 

Another video I watched talked about the License to Pursue Dreams. The concept this lady shared had me floored at first. Apparently, every Friday this company allowed their employees to work on whatever they want. Now, here's the cool part. Out of the "work" that they were doing, fifty percent of what they worked on ended up being part of that company! No wonder the company allowed them to do what they wanted every Friday. Half of their fun time became income from them! Can you imagine working in a place like that? So much fun. 

All throughout this semester, in both of my classes, the importance of knowing who you are and becoming who you are meant to be has been a big deal. Here's the thing, I didn't know who I was for sure. I had lost the person I truly was and became like a robot. Living each day just to get to the next. It was difficult. I forgot who I was. Taking these two classes has helped me figure out what it is that makes me, well, me. It first started with making my 50 item bucket list. Then to my "becoming" project. And then, figuring out what I want to be when I "grow up". Not necessarily grow up in age, but when my mind decides to live for me. Let's do what is best for Nini. So, here I am, about to graduate and I know who I want to be. 

                                             Home | ComeUntoChrist
I am thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. Without Him, I don't know where I would be. All because of Him, I can do the things that I want to do. I can overcome any challenge that comes my way. I mean, so far I have overcome 100% of the challenges already! All because I have Him in my life. I am blessed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment