Saturday, August 12, 2023

Mastering the Power Inside You

First up, I wanted to share that my daughter, Ashlee, will be serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Honolulu Hawaii starting in October, 2023. We are so excited for her! 




This week in my Entrepreneurship class we learned about becoming a master. We started reading the book "Mastery" by George Leonard. (Found here) We learned a lot about becoming the master of ourselves. Some videos we watched talked about finding our passion, how to be a great entrepreneur and not a rock star (even though some make just as much money). Then we watched a video about a hero's journey and how it's about us, but in the long run it's all for Heavenly Father. 

The first few chapters we read in "Master" talked about the different kinds of paths we can take to master. He calls them the Dable, the Obsessor, and the Hacker. Here's the thing, all of them end up plummeting. They either get bored, overwhelmed, or just fall into a plateau and not want to change anything. Honestly, how many times have you realized that life is going great right now, then all of a sudden, WHAM! Life throws you a curveball and you're struggling to swing that bat. I can't tell you how many times that has happened to me. But the great thing about that is, the challenge is there. Yuu can either accept it, fight it, or let it take control. If you let it take control, then you start to plummet. If you accept it, you're in the middle of your plateau. But if you fight it, your start to move up and learn and grow from it. Without the plateau, we wouldn't be able to grow. Be thankful for those small moments of perfectedness that he calls the plateau because it is the calm before the storm, the trial to help us become stronger and grow into the masters we are so desperately seeking to become. 

One thing that has been going through my mind lately is how amazing it felt to be an entrepreneur. To own my own studio was the highlight of 40's. Unfortunately, it didn't last long as Covid hit hard and I just couldn't keep it up. But I keep thinking of opening one again (shh, don't tell Jason). I'm learning things with this course that could potentially help me become a better entrepreneur. However, is this the route I want to go? Right now I am so close to my Bachelor's degree. Soon after I will be working on my Master's degree for special education. 

Earlier this week in the video we watched, it was mentioned to ask five of your closest friends/family members this question. What is one thing I do better than anyone else you know. Some friends said it was hard to put into words but finally said, 

"You have an extra pep in your step that helps motivate people in a positive way." 

Others mentioned were, 

"You have a gift working with special needs children." 
"You can bust out in a song with all the joy, energy, and confidence like no one else I know." 
"You have a big laugh that makes others smile." 
"Empathize"

Now, in the video, we are told to use this advice to help find our passion, our purpose in life, our happy to be working, career. (See where I'm going with this?) So, does owning a studio help me with that? Does teaching special education help me with that? To be completely honest? Both of these sound like a good fit for me, considering all of the answers my family and friends gave me. 

One thing I read about during this class is to never start anything unless you have the support of family and friends. I know that my love of owning a studio will always be there, but I won't do anything without the full support of my family and friends. I know that my family will be with me forever, the studio won't. So, unless we all agree on it, then I'll keep this little dream of mine just that, a dream. Which I am ok with. There are more important things to worry about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment